Games I need to check out.
- The Case of the Golden Idol PC
- Signalis NSW
- Fez NSW
- Untitled Goose Game NSW
- Picross S NSW
- What Remains of Edith Finch
- The Witness XBone
- Hyper Light DrifterMac
- Thomas Was Alone Mac
- Sword and Sworcery: EP iOS
- Aquaria iOS
- BioShock Infinite Mac
- Gone Home Mac
- Starseed Pilgrim Mac
- Earthbound SNES, Wii U
- Beyond Good and Evil Xbox, Xbox 360
- Papers, Please Mac
- Escape Goat 2 Mac
- Sir, You Are Being Hunted Mac
- Limits and Demonstrations Mac
- The Entertainment Mac
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon 3DS
- Shovel Knight 3DS
Those that have fallen.
- Casual Birder / 2023.05.05 PDU Photographed 26/27 birbs! Who’s the casual now?
- Unpacking / 2023.02.27 NSW Liked parts of it, but had to slog through to the end. Expected a twist that never came.
- Quake / 2023.01.01 NSW Played on normal difficulty. No saves on original game. Saves on the two expansions because late map platforming is dumb. It was okay?
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening / 2022.09.20 NSW If only they would have made the performance just a little better. Otherwise excellent.
- Super Mario Odyssey / 2022.08.08 NSW All moons and purple coins. Got to 980-ish on my own, guides for the rest.
- Dragon Quest / 2022.07.16 iOS Not a lot of depth here. Mostly smashing face and healing.
- Mega Man X / 2022.02.20 SNES Started this a while ago, but left it at Sigma. Came back to finish the fight.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / 2022.02.13 SNES Can’t count the number of times I’ve played this before, but played through it with Liam at his request.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild / 2022.02.05 NSW Put in somewhere between 225 and 250 hours. Pretty close to 100% with no guides. Except for Knight’s Saddle and a little more than half of the Korok seeds, think I got everything. Not perfect, but it was a worthy break from tradition. Can’t wait for the sequel.
- Super Metroid / 2021.09.11 SNESSomehow never beat this as a kid. Played through with Liam watching. All main items, 76% completion.
- Hitman GO / 2021.06.08 iOSPicked this up after dropping it 4.5 years ago. Something clicked the second time around. 3-stared every level. No Lara Croft GO, but serviceable.
- SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech / 2021.04.18 iOSWas really high on this at the beginning, but started coming down about 50% through. Bottomed out just before the end. Never felt like I got my party working together. Left the last few levels of the arena, or colosseum, or whatever it’s called undone.
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask / 2020.10.26 3DSI loved it. A truly amazing achievement.
- Inmost / 2020.06.13 iOSPixel art was tight, but gameplay was meh. Very buggy. Writing was a bit heavy-handed. Felt repetitive.
- Assemble with Care / 2020.06.04 iOSNot much of a game here, but a well-crafted experience. Would love to make something this cared for once in my life.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / 2020.05.16 3DSFirst 3D Zelda. Finally. Dungeons were good, overworld was a little underwhelming. Had to restart 66% of the way through. Didn’t get all the hearts and the golden scale because the fishing game was the worst.
- Card of Darkness / 2019.11.28 iOSNot my favorite genre of game, but kept me entertained enough to finish. Got all 50 cards. Times when I was rolling over enemies felt great.
- Metroid: Return of Samus / 2019.11.23 3DSModern affordances of having a map with flagged points of interest and detecting hidden areas were welcome. 92% completion on my own. Had to look up the other 8% which all relies on spider ball jumping which I did not know was a thing.
- WHAT THE GOLF / 2019.12.13 iOSAlmost bailed on this one midway through, but stuck with it. Glad I did, but don’t think I would ever want to replay. 100%.
- Bleak Sword / 2019.12.28 iOSOk, I guess. Not motivated enough to replay at a higher difficulty or complete additional achievements.
- Minit / 2019.09.14 iOS Enjoyed first play through, but interest plummeted on NG+. 83% on my own, guides to get up to 110%.
- Oddmar / 2019.03.30 iOS 100% achievements. Short, jumping was floaty, but I still liked it.
- Super Mario World / 2019.02.10 SNES High 80’s out of 96 levels. 100% Star Road. Played through with Liam, and it is still a masterpiece.
- Grimvalor / 2019.01.20 iOS Started well, but got repetitive. Grappling orb pizzles were frustrating with touch controls. Would have gotten 100% completion otherwise.
- Her Story / 2018.12.14 iOS Frustrated by the limitations of the terminal interface. Just wanted easier access to the clips I had already uncovered. Strong premise, thought the execution came up a little short.
- Mega Man 2 / 2018.11.29 NES Still as good as ever. Had to use a single energy tank on Wiley.
- Donut County / 2018.09.02 iOS Simple, but so well executed. Loved the writing, especially the banter between Mira and BK. The Trashopedia was a great example of the amount of care that went into this thing. Found a couple of the easter eggs that were meant as PS4 trophies…
- Florence / 2018.08.19 iOS A few interesting moments, and the art/music were superb. Female driven narrative was also a welcome change. Simple mechanics were fine, but often felt repetitive.
- SteamWorld Heist iOS All 123 stars. It was ok, I guess?
- Device 6 / 2018.03.12 iOS I love the style of game that Simogo makes. A worthy follow up to Year Walk.
- Monument Valley 2 / 2018.02.26 iOS Seemed a lot shorter than the original and on the easier side, but it was still nice to be back.
- Gorogoa / 2017.12.21 iOSPretty great. Never got stuck and the exploration felt natural. Beautifully drawn, short and sweet.
- Limbo / 2017.12.07 MacMostly positive. Industrial levels were way less interesting than the forest in the first half of the game. Like that there was no loading screen and each puzzle flowed directly to the next. Didn’t feel strongly about the sudden ending either way.
- Stranger Things / 2017.11.26 iOSPlayed for the novelty more than anything. When it wore off, I was close enough to push through to the end. 90% completion on my own, used guides to get the full 100%.
- Doom / 2017.09.17 XBone Beaten on Ultra-Violence. Nailed the classic Doom feel. Story was terrible, as expected. Why does Bethesda make everything so reflective?
- Framed / 2017.09.15 iOS Enjoyed it, but not enough to play the sequel. Felt like it was too hard to tell which frame the protagonist was moving to, which resulted in a lot of trial and error.
- Old Man’s Journey / 2017.07.18 iOS Visuals an Audio were great. Gameplay was meh. Story was predictable.
- Lara Croft GO / 2016.10.18, 2017.06.24 iOS Much more than I expected. Such polish. Music was perfect. The Mirror of Spirits was a worthy addition.
- Firewatch / 2017.03.17 XBone Lived up to the hype. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
- Hidden Folks / 2017.03.08 iOS It was ok.
- Super Mario Run / 2017.02.18 iOS 100% all coins, except for the black special course. Took some time, but warmed up to it.
- Goblin Sword / 2016.12.08 iOS 100%-ed this one. Pretty good, but some of the end game achievements were a slog.
- République / 2016.10.08 iOS The collectathon and fidgety touch controls detracted from the overall game. Ending was unsatisying.
- Waking Mars iOS Skipped the worse ending, but got the normal and alternate ones. They felt bizarrely abrupt to me.
- Blackbar / 2016.04.06 iOS Reminded me of Desert Golf’s purity. Inspiring how much some can can do with so little.
- Bastion / 2016.04.03 iOS Solid. Stuck around for NG+, but didn’t 100% the acheivements with the dreams. Great voice acting and soundtrack.
- Pink Heaven / 2015.10.21 iOS Still got it.
- Kometen / 2015.08.23 iOS Enjoyed leisurely exploring the galaxy for artwork. Would have loved a retina update to this old, underappreciated gem.
- Monument Valley / 2014.12.12, 2014.04.07 iOS Short, but sweet. A touch focused, lite version of Fez. Very charming. Played Forgotten Shores on most recent playthrough.
- Attack of the Friday Monsters / ??? 3DSCharming. Wished the card battle minigame was engaging.
- Space Age / 2014.12.10 iOSLet down. Dialog dragged and lacked user control. Controls finicky in places where timing was important. Got all the achievements.
- Desert Golfing / 2014.11.07 iOSPure game. Stopped at hole 1000.
- Pink Hour / 2014.08.22 iOSExtremely short prequel to Kero Blaster. Hard mode was fun.
- Broken Age: Part 1 / 2014.06.29 MacFirst adventure game in a while. Gorgeous style, interesting story. Puzzles never felt too obscure. Thinking about that cliffhanger.
- SteamWorld Dig / 2014.06.22 3DS Catchy, finished in just a few days. Enjoyed the mining hook. Combat could have been better. Difficulty ramp faster as well. Got 2 gold star for gold and orbs, silver for deaths, bronze for time.
- Kero Blaster / 2014.06.13 iOS Best platforming iOS so far. Great, quirky NPC interactions. Played through once, with new game plus and boss rush mode. Only got 1 of 4 upgrades to secret Kuro Blaster.
- Shuten / 2014.03.26 Mac Finally beat the last boss. Fist shmup I’ve played to completion. Thoroughly enjoyed.
- Tappingo / 2014.03.25 3DS First half was promising, but difficulty never increased. Puzzles got larger, making tap targets smaller, upping frustration.
- Mega Man / 2014.03.09 NES Whoa unbalanced. A few parts required random luck, rather than skill.
- Home / 2014.02.11 iPad Didn’t get the appeal. Story felt too direct, repetitive. iPad controls at the edges of the screen were wonky.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3DS 100% item completion, but I died once. Will go for perfect on a Hero mode replay. Minor flaws aside, this game was delightful. A fitting sequel.
- Longest Night: NITW Supplement 1 / 2013.12.22 Mac Matching stars based on sound to form a constellation was an idea I had a while ago. Nice to see it in action.
- Year Walk / 2013.10.20 iOS Wow.
- Wub Wub Wescue / 2013.09.23 Mac Probably my least favorite of the crunch so far, but still fun platforming.
- Walking Dead: The Game / 2013.08.27 iOS Enjoyed the story, despite jerky performance on older iPad. Annoyed by instances where multiple choices didn’t properly convey tone, ended up making unintended decisions.
- Gunman Clive 3DS Solid, but shallow side-scroller. Visuals were charming in a hand-drawn sort of way. Beat on normal and hard difficulties.
- GAIAttack Mac Standard, 2D beat’em up. Fun. Had the top score and time for a while, but someone beat my time. Too busy to try and top it.
- End of Line Mac Pretty solid. Played it a second time for the ‘good’ ending.
- Angle Isle iOS Super fun platformer. Short, but I had a blast speedrunning. Currently on top for all difficulty levels as of this writing.
- Millinaut Mac Some challenging platforming. Didn’t know I could swap the boulder and rocket until the last level, so that made the game harder than it should have been.
- Kentucky Route Zero: Act 1 Mac Really enjoying the feel of this thing. Can’t wait for the rest of it.
- Super Mario Advance 4 GBA Not as good as I remember, but still solid. Levels felt too short.
- Super Clew Land Mac Great platform work. Some really nice challenges as well. Played through 2x.
- Midas Mac Simple, but nicely executed puzzle platformer. Liked the thin narrative that went with it.
- Beatdown! iOS Unremarkable, no weapon differentiation. One play through was enough.
- Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure / 2023.06.02 PDU Got to level 43 out of 50, I think. Can’t use the crank with enough precision to get through it.
- A Monster’s Expedition iOS Repetitive puzzles. Didn’t hold my interest.
- Little Orpheus / 2020.06.27 iOSBoring. Protagonist is an unlikeable doofus.
- Dragalia Lost iOSWas going to stick with this for a few weeks, just to get some more exposure to gotcha games. Can’t do it. There is no game here. Never again.
- Oceanhorn iOSAt the final boss and 71% completion, but I’m bailing. This game feels like a hollow shell of something good in this genre. Just bland overall.
- Xenowork / 2017.11.26 iOSSo repetitive. Couldn’t take it anymore. Enemy variety is weak and the weapon/difficulty treadmill is too obvious.
- Hearthstone / 2017.08.23 iOSMostly enjoyed this, but (a) I don’t have the money to invest in buying packs and (b) I don’t have the time to play this and something else. Tried for 3 weeks and this was pretty much all I did.
- Fire Emblem Heroes / 2017.05.15 iOSMy first foray into gotchapon. Did not like.
- Disney Crossy Road / 2016.04.30 iOSEndless runners and high score games still don’t do it for me.
- Diablo 3 / 2014.12.30 MacStarted playing again after recent conversations with Brian and Lynn. I just can’t unsee the treadmill.
- Halo 4 Xbox 360Giving up in the middle of a legendary run. Not enough time to keep my skills up when I have so many other games left unplayed. Can’t justify cost of Live Gold for multiplayer. Bullet sponge Prometheans aren’t fun.
- Ridiculous Fishing iOSAmusing, but not a huge fan of these style of tilt games. Finished the game, aka found the guy’s Dad, but only have 61/66 fish collected.